It’s been a long, hard winter in Harbor Country. Although the temperatures aren’t quite Springy, hints of green and splashes of sunshine are welcome signs that Spring is just around the corner.
For the Harbor Country Chamber of Commerce, Spring is Ribbon Cutting season as we welcome new businesses at Grand Openings with our oversized scissors. Among them:
- Sage Bistro offering French comfort cuisine in New Buffalo
- Holistic Lifestyle/Empowered Self-Care providing healing and education in Union Pier
- MAK Spa opening a second location in downtown Three Oaks
- Peasant’s Pantry, a new specialty food store/deli opening in Sawyer later this Spring
- Welter’s Folly, Journeyman Distillery’s newly built 18-hole putting green in Three Oaks
Spring is also a great time to rediscover favorite places or try something new before the summer crowds arrive. Here are 7 Ideas to get you started:
1. Go Geocaching — a fun treasure hunt game that has developed into a popular hobbyist sport, worldwide. Harbor Country and our surrounding area is home to hundreds of hidden “caches” waiting to be discovered. Your mission, if you choose to accept it, is to get out there and spend some time touring our beautiful countryside, and quiet back roads in search of whatever adventure awaits.
2. Check out new brews, vintages and spirits at local Breweries, Wineries and Distilleries. Stock up for summer sipping and holidays including Mother’s Day and Father’s Day.
3. Get ideas for a Spring Makeover for your home and garden from expert designers. Harbor Country is home to leading interior designers and landscapers that can show you how to make simple changes or major transformations.
4. Take a ride on the new Chikaming Park Mountain Bike Trail. Test your skill for staying on the 1.5-mile ride along the edge of a small, wooded ravine as you loop around an intimate pond. Plans are to expand the trail to 6 miles.
5. Catch a game with the South Bend Cubs. Opening Day is April 7. Fun at the ballpark includes weekly specials like Feeding Frenzy Monday and Dog Day Sundays.
6. Go Fish. Find your favorite spot along Lake Michigan or the Galien River. New Buffalo charter fishing season starts March 22.
7. Experience the night life at Four Winds Casino Resort. Gaming, live entertainment from top national acts at the Silver Creek Event Center, high-energy local acts at the Hard Rock Café and a variety of dining options make for a great night out.
Find more great places and things to do on our website and be sure to pick up our new Harbor Country Visitors Guide coming April 5.