Successful masterplanning is the key to creating great places.
While Harbor Country encompasses 8 towns, the area is governed by three different townships and four city/village bodies. Each has is own Master Plan, also called a comprehensive plan, to provide a long-range vision for the built environment of the community. The plan guides the appropriate use of lands within each municipality in order to protect the public health and safety and to promote general welfare. Among other issues, the Master Plan can identify
- suitable locations for commercial, housing and mixed-use development;
- locations where the city should increase density, use redevelopment, or intervene in other ways;
- opportunities to extend and/or improve open space, recreational areas, and civic facilities;
- strategies from increasing economic development;
- environmental, historic and cultural resources that need conservation; and
- strategies for solving congestion and improving transit services.
Below are the most up to date plans: